Saturday, December 13, 2008

WFR day 1

Wilderness First Responder
This is a course that is required of me to take in order to graduate from Hocking. We learn things from CPR to how to successfully carry someone out of the woods. We learn how to make a splint out of things I might have on me. It will challenge all of us to be creative with the materials we have on us in order to save a life or help a patient to get out of the wilderness and to the proper help he or she needs. This training will help me get a job in the out door tourism world. It is a professional level course, very serious and so far I am having a blast!!

Day 1.

I made pancakes for breakfast this morning! delicious!! This morning we introduced ourselves and went over the course as a whole. There are 31 students and 2 teachers. We went over the respiratory system and how to roll a patient when they are on their bellies and not breathing. Then we had lunch at 1200 hours. At 1300 hours we started class again. We began with how to help a choking patient. Next we finished up with the respiratory system and did a section on asthma. After the in class work for asthma Daz, our head instructor told us that the first 15 people out the double doors got to play the patient. Naturally I was one of the first. I enjoy playing patient because it gives me a chance to see what is going on whether it is wrong or right. So, my role was to act like I was having a severe asthma attack and my inhaler wasn’t working for me. When the other students were released Eleish came to me and started the process. It was fun to act like I couldn’t breath. My story was that my asthma got worse under high stress and pressure, exams were coming up, my boyfriend just broke up with me, and I was in a fight with my family. Needless to say I was super upset and I couldn’t breath. Elisha went to the head medic(Daz) and got a practice epipen. When she came back i had passed out and she administered the medicine to open my air way and start breathing again. Then she had me use my inhaler properly. It was fun and funny. There were times when I just busted out laughing. That was our first simulation and I must say it was a success. After that we went back inside and continued with the circulatory system and started CPR training. That is pretty much everything we did on day one!!

No comments: